Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Long Live The Car Crash Hearts


Mothers and daughters don't always get along, especially through out the teen years. I am twenty one years old and my Mother and I do not always see eye to eye. We get angry at each other from time to time and on occasion we may say some hurtful things that we don't necessarily mean. Even though we don't have the closest relationship I still have respect for her and love her, because she is my Mother. You only get one family, and in my opinion family is something worth holding onto.

What I don't understand is how some people feel that they do not need family. They feel that they are better then other people and do not need the people who care about them most in their lives. Unless you are doing and thinking what is convenient for them they do not have a use for you. It is the job of your family members to tell you not what you want to hear but what you need to hear. They are there to help guide you through life. They love you and have your best interest at heart.

My youngest sister is going through a rebellious kind of stage. She prefers friends to family. She prefers to do what she wants when she wants to do it. She is not a fan of rules or anyone who tries to enforce them. She thinks of only her self and lacks the ability to see the big picture. Over the past three years she has made my Mother's life a living hell. Trying to do what is best for her troubled daughter my Mother has refused to give up on her despite how hurtful and out of control she gets.

Today, while she was out with some friends, my sister got into a car accident. She was sitting in the backseat. If I herd correctly the car that crashed into them is at fault. My sister was taken by ambulance to the hospital and arrived around 7:30pm. When she arrived she told the nurse specifically not to call my mother. Because she is 16 years of age now she has the right to choose not to notify my parents if something happens to her. Instead one of her friends called my other sister, who left work to be with her. Once she arrived at the hospital she notified my Mother, who dropped everything to be there for my youngest sister.

My Mother arrives at the hospital and is given a lot of grief from a nurse. When she is finally taken to my sister she finds her daughter lying in a bed or a stretcher or something wearing a neck brace. Being a concerned parent she begins to cry. Instead of being grateful that her Mother has come to her aid, my sister yells at my Mother for making a big deal out of nothing and states that this is why she did not want her called.

They take my sister in for x-rays. When asked to take out her tongue ring she is rude to the nurse or doctor who is assisting her. They decide that she is fine and it's just some whiplash and that she may be in pain tomorrow. The whole time she is in the hospital she swears and degrades my Mother. She says cruel and hurtful things to her and makes it very clear that she doesn't not care about our Mother and did not want her there. She decides that she is not coming home after being released and instead going to her friend's house to spend the night. She gets angry because neither my Mother or other sister will give her money to get McDonald's after she leaves. Her friends try to get my 19 year old sister to buy them cigarettes. They swear and smoke in the parking lot and the whole lot of them come off as being very trashy.

My Mother comes home to tell my Father and I what happened and begins to cry. She is incredibly upset and heart broken. I don't understand how someone could be so cruel to their own Mother. My Mother did not do anything wrong. She was concerned and scared for the safety of her daughter and her daughter basically spit in her face and made her look like a fool. I am in awe as to how she could find this behaviour acceptable. One day she will realise how good she had it and how much my parents and siblings loved her and it will be too late.

Please do not take your family for granted. They are all you have and you cannot replace them. Be grateful for those in your life who love and care for you and do your best to return that love.

Later Days
Santi

1 comment:

Anne Theresa said...

What you said about not taking family for granted is very true. Love & respect go hand in hand.
Take care, a.t.