Saturday, August 01, 2009

The Dog Days Of Summer


The door bell rings shortly after ten. Assuming it is my boyfriend as he said he would be here early I lazily walk up and open the door in my pyjamas. Our yorkie mix, Milo, happily jumps out onto the front step to greet two woment holding coffee and Tim Horton's bags who are looking for Kelly. I assume they are talking about my Mother and say no, she's not here. Milo quickly decides he's grown bored of these women who aren't paying him any attention. I call him back put he doesn't listen. The women again ask for Kelly as my dog is now running down the stairs and into the parking lot. I push past the women, leaving the door to my house open, and tell them as I run that she is gone for the weekend.

I chase Milo through the parking lot. He is a much faster runner than I am. He stops on the bulevard for a second to sniff a pole and then runs across the street barily missing the truck of our old neighbour as he drives down the street. I follow him across the street into someones drive way. I chased him around their mini van for a few laps before he decided to hide underneath their car. I slowly make my way towards the front of the car when he darts past me and heads for the unfenced back yard which as a gigantic slope leading somewhere else.

As I chase after Milo as little boy looks on with amusement. I call out to Milo and the little boy tells me he's hiding in the backyard. I quickly find him hiding in a pink playschool kitchen curled up in a ball trying to hide from me. I quickly grab the oversized yorkie and carrying him under my right arm and head back home, apologizing to the home owners who are staring at the awkard sight that is me emerging from their back yard. I head back home in my pyjamas, bare foot, carring this dog.

As I approach my unit in our complex I see the two women heading up the stairs for unit 13 talking about how funny it was that they could go to the wrong door and there would be a Kelly living there also. I hope I've given them a good story to pass along to their friend Kelly. Assuming that I have a good anecdote of my own I relay the story to my boyfriend who calls me shortly afterwards. His only response was: "You left the door wide open!?!?"

Later Days
Santi

2 comments:

Anne Theresa said...

Two women named Kelly, a runaway dog, a girl in her p.j.'s and a boyfriend worried about strangers walking off with the stereo - the very definition of dog days. Love ya,

His girl Friday said...

I'm glad my title fits my story ;-)